St. Xavier’s College of Education, Ambikapur is the offshoot of St. Xavier’s Higher Secondary School, Ambikapur. The school was established in 1962. This was approved by the Madhyapradesh education department in 1964. After long years of service this school has been extended to further step of higher education to excel in educating the teachers as well. Year 2008-09 is the hallmark of this institution.
Date of Recognition by NCTE: 09 April 2009
Affiliated with – Surguja University Ambikapur Chhattisgarh Memo.170/S.V.V.A/2009 Dated 06/06/2009
Permission from C.G. Govt.School Eucation Department, Raipur Memo.7288/2008 -09/6598 dated 24/09/2009
St.Xavier’s College of Education is a B.Ed college – teachers’ training college managed by the Society of Jesus for the future teachers of Chhattisgarh. It was established by the members of Madhya Pradesh Province Jesuits in July, 2008 under the able leadership of the founding Director Rev Fr Jerome Minj, sj. Since then, the college is striving to produce efficient teachers, who are now shaping the future of India with a view to transform the educational scenario in Chhattisgarh where there is an acute shortage of trained and well qualified teachers..
The college is a self financed co-educational Christian Minority Educational institution. It is affiliated to Sarguja University Ambikapur in 2009. The college is recognized by the National Council for Teacher Education. NCTE granted recognition for two year B.Ed. Course to the college with a total intake of 200 students in 2015(Ref. Order F.No.WRC/APW07270/723152/2015/139441 dated 31.5.15). Minority Status is accorded to this institution by Chhattisgarh Government Memo/Minority/151/09/2205 Raipur, dated 16.06.2010
The college is registered under the local title “Xavier Institute Surguja” under the M.P. Societies’ Registration Act 1959 (I of 1960) – with the registration no. 939/9.10.1967.
Society of Jesus: The Society of Jesus is Christian religious order. It was founded by St.Ignatius of Loyola in 1540. The society has been very active in the education field throughout the world since its origin. Today there are number of Jesuit run universities, colleges, secondary schools, elementary schools in many counties of the world. Jesuits also serve on the faculties of both catholic and secular education institutes as well. At present over 1865 education institutes are offered for educating approximately 17, 92000 students and for whom 98,000 teachers are engaged.
St. Xavier’s College of Education, Ambikapur is established in 2009. This institute enjoys its existence in the premises of St. Xavier’s Higher Secondary School, Ambikapur which was established in 1962. The renowned school was approved by Madhya Pradesh Education Department in 1964. In order to widen education service across the country teacher training institute, a higher education was envisaged. To bring about well formed teachers who would be rooted with intellectual depth in extending of quality service in the state and country.
The name of the college is after the sixteenth century Jesuit saint Francis Xavier. He was a noteworthy organizer and missionary of the East Indies. He was one of the early founding Jesuits, a companion of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus. He was born on April 7, 1506 and brought up in the castle of Navarre of Spain. Francis was a teacher and philosopher who secured master’s degree from University in Paris. His zeal and enthusiasm brought to India in May 6, 1542. Goa was the centre of spreading the message of Jesus Christ. He visited a number of coastal towns and villages e.g. Cochin, Travancore etc. Further, he stepped in Malacca, Japan and China. While he was returning Goa, he was caught up with tempest and become sick and died on December 3, 1552 in a lonely island of Sancian, near the China coast, while trying to reach Mainland China. He was a First Jesuit coming to the East. Today Christian Catholics take him as the patron saint of India.
St. Xavier’s College is managed and owned by the Jesuits under Xavier Institute Surguja. The XIS was established on October 9, 1967 at Loyola High School Kunkuri. At present it is situated in the
District of Surguja and registered under the Madhya Pradesh Societies Act 1959(no.1 of 1960). It is a charitable and religious association formed by the Jesuits working in the state of M.P and Chhattisgarh.
The Jesuits belong to the well known body: the Society of Jesus. The following educational
institutes are in the district of Surguja, Koria, Balrampur and Surajpur:
It is important for a college to receive advice and counsel of a group of individuals who are committed to excellence in education of our students and who can provide important perspectives on the needs for education in the present and in the future.
The college has constituted the INTERNAL QUALITY ASSURANCE CELL (IQAC) Members provide advice to the Governing body (Founding Society) and faculty to enhance the quality, outreach and development of college programmes. The Board also serves as a source of information bringing public opinion and feedback to the knowledge of the Governing body.
The Society of Jesus, a Christian religious order founded by Saint Ignatius Loyola in 1540, has been active in the education throughout the world since its origin. Since inception of the order, Jesuits have been teachers and educationists. Today, there are Jesuit-run universities, colleges, high schools and Middle schools or elementary schools in many countries of the world. Jesuits also serve on the faculties of both catholic and secular education institutes as well.
In the world, the Society of Jesus is responsible for over 1865 Education Institutions; engage the efforts of approximately 98,000 teachers. They educate approximately 17, 92,000 students per year.
The B.Ed. College is in the heart of Surguja, the fast developing district in Chhattisgarh. It is 6 km away from Ambikapur Railway station, 2 km away from Bus stand. St. Xavier’s college of Education is accessible from every corner of the Ambikapur City. Bus routes are available towards East: Raigarh, Jharsugda, Jashpur and Ranchi, towards West: Baikuntpur- Manendragarh; towads North-west: Ramanujganj, Daltenganj, Mahuadand another root towards Pratappur ; and towards South: Bilaspur and Raipur- Durg.
The premises has two school buildings (Elementary school, and Higher secondary school), Loyola college hostel, St. Xavier’s Hostel, Jesuit residence and Pratap Hostel, two Basketball courts, four volleyball courts and four hockey and football courts. Green trees and plants surround the campus. Moreover, there is an open space to run around and breathe in.